Somatic Experiencing® Therapy
Learn how Somatic Experiencing® therapy can help you
If you have overwhelming feelings, you’ll be glad to know that you can work with these a little bit at a time. You can start to feel empowered knowing that with the right conditions and support, your body can process and discharge anxiety, depression, self doubt, fears and feel more calm and balanced at the end of each session.
You may experience the safety of our therapeutic relationship, with someone who is warm, caring, protective, and knowledgeable of the process, grows your confidence that you can get better, naturally. We will work at a pace that feels right to you will grow a deeper sense of control, safety, and trust.
The Solution using Somatic Experiencing® Therapy
You may be surprised to discover the gentle, invitational process of Somatic Experiencing® therapy. It will help you complete and release stress and trauma responses from the past and help you feel more like yourself again, in a gentle sustainable way.
You will learn to do this by bringing your awareness to what is happening now, with less focus on the past. You may be surprised to find that you feel a little bit better after every visit.
What’s it like to have a Somatic Experiencing® Therapy session?
- Biology of Now. You will learn how to bring not just your attention, but also your biology into the present moment in order to experience the shift that happens when your energy and your attention CAN be in the here and now. The biology of trauma keeps our attention on the past and future trying to rehearse and prepare for danger. It’s like looking in the review mirror while driving 60 miles an hour on the freeway.
- Completion rather than insight or analysis. Learn how to complete rather than just manage the experiences that lead to anxiety, depression anger and numbness. In Somatic Experiencing® we use four channels available to our bodies to complete unfinished business rather than thinking and rehearsing over and over, but ending stuck in the same place again.
- Fight, Flight and Freeze. You will learn to see and experience the value in your 3 biological responses to overwhelming stress: Fight, Flight and Freeze. You may be surprised to discover that these states have a wisdom and purpose, that together we will make use of to help you complete unfinished business not just understand it. They can be undiscovered super powers.
- Making new habits autonomic nervous system supporting Flow. You will start to understand the habit of Fight, Flight and Freeze, in order to remember, practice and “wire” the state of Flow, where you feel “easeful readiness.”
This state takes much less energy and allows your “social engagement” system to unfold, so that you can take refuge and enjoy safe and supportive relationships in your life. You can pursue meaningful work. So you can enjoy your friends and family, pursue your hobbies . . . and be part of the solution in your community, nation and world should you feel the call.
- Cultivate health pleasure. You will remember how to experience sustainable “healthy pleasure” with out reaching for substances, experiences, food, or work that speeds you up or shut you down.
- Thrivership. You will start to experience the meaning and strength you’ve gained as a Survivor of your painful experiences, and emerge with the tensile strength of Thriver who has been refined by the forces fire, water, earth and wind that have shaped you.
- Sustainable well-being. We will work gently and slowly building sustainable well-being. You might even find your Somatic Experiencing® sessions enjoyable. Many people feel better when they leave than when arrived.
- Being with a therapist who lives this way of being. You will also experience being with someone (me!), who knows you can recover and sees your symptoms like an eclipse of your real self, who knows you are not broken. . . Because I use these tools and this way of life myself.
I’ve been practicing somatic tools personally for many years and have found Somatic Experiencing® a systematic, gentle and enjoyable way to help myself as well as clients.
How does Somatic Experiencing® work to help you regaining your resilience?
Skilled Somatic Experiencing® therapists know how to help your body return to a relaxed and rhythmic state after a stress. You will experience and then learn how to support your body to complete and chronic stress. Wild animals do it constantly, and so can you.
Your body came designed to do this letting go of stress naturally, and Somatic Experiencing® simply helps restore this innate healthy response to life’s challenges.
You will experience resilience and live with less effort and struggle. You will learn to let the sensations of anxiety, anger, and even joy and closeness simply pass through you, like a buoyant raft on a wave. And be ready for the next adventure or opportunity without so much effort!
You may be surprised to discover that the neurobiology underneath anxiety, depression and PTSD, are trying to help solve a problem you may have come up against in the past.
Most people wait too long to get help, hoping things will get better. You may be suffering needlessly. If you’ve had a loss, either in the past or in the present, I can help you create a little breathing room from these challenges, so you can reassemble the pieces of your life and plan what to do next.
To find out how to join my waiting list, see the “Getting Started” page [this could be a side bar too.]